Thursday, October 8, 2009

Top 10 Reason Dekalb Illinois was a Good Move for Me

I posted this a while back on my facebook page. It's funny how enthusiastic I was to move up here, but you know what? After living here for almost three months I am still just as excited to be here. Pretty much every day I get to see something new that I've never seen before. I have to admit though, at this point I am a little bit tired of the Italian Beef. Give me a hot, fresh, made to order Whataburger any day!

10. DeKalb is named for Gneral Baron Johan DeKalb, who served under General George Washington during the Revolutionary war. This dude was such a badass that he was wounded 11 times before he died! That man deserves a beer. Who could go wrong in a town named after such badassery?

9. Barbed wire was invented in Dekalb, by a man named Joseph Glidden. I like barbed wire. Keeps my favorite foods from getting mixed up on the ranch.

8. I like corn. A lot. Aside from being one of Illinois top corn producers, Dekalb likes corn so much, they have a festival dedicated to it every year! What is it called? Drum roll please........Corn Fest! Billed as "one of the last remaining free music festivals among Illinois music festivals in Illinois" Corn Fest features live music, food, a beer garden and a carnival for the kiddies. I wonder if Korn has ever played Corn Fest.

7. I will have studio space in the building that at one time housed the Wurlitzer Piano Company. As if that wasn't awesome enough, while they were based in Dekalb, Wurlitzer produced what they called, "The Mightiest Wurlitzer" which is a theatre pipe organ reaching over three stories in height! Doesn't get any better than that!

6. Dan Castellaneta, the voice of Homer J. Simpson, attended the school of Theater and Dance at Northern Illinois University. Homer just so happens to be my favorite character from The Simpsons. Here's a fun fact. Dan Castellaneta's co-star on The Simpsons is Yeardly Smith, who does the voice of Lisa. In 1985 Yeardly Smith appeared in the movie The Legend of Billie Jean, as Putter, the girl who gets her period in the back of the station wagon. The Legend of Billie Jean was filmed where? You guessed it! Corpus Christi, Texas! My hometown!

5. As a young stud in grade school I was just too much of a hoss to fit into those 1980's skinny jeans. All the big boys at school wore Husky jeans. The Northern Illinois University mascot is Victor E. Huskie. Coincidence? I think not!

4. I used to have a huge crush on Cindy Crawford back when she was peddling Pepsi and showing up on the cover of Sports illustrated. Cindy Crawford grew up in Dekalb. Apparently she was the valedictorian of her high school class and had a 4.0 GPA. Hot and smart, just like I like them! All the girls in Dekalb look just like Cindy Crawford. Jealous?

3. Dekalb seems to have lots of dive bars like the Annex or Otto's. Dive bars are my absolute favorite! While I was there I met lots of cool people with interesting stories and opinions. I also met a lot of weirdos and creeps. I think I also witnessed a mental patient being kidnapped by a high powered attorney. Whatever. Gotta love a place where you can get a large pizza and two pitchers of beer for like 15 bucks.

2. I hear it snows like 6 months out of the year in Illinois. I've been told by many many people that I am going to freeze my ass off and that NOTHING can prepare me for what the brutal midwest winter has in store for me. Well you know what? This week in Austin our LOW temperature for the week was 102 degrees! Yesterday it was like 106! IT IS FUCKING HOT!!! Believe me folks, after 29 years of sitting on satan's front porch, I'm ready for some snow.

1. Everyone in Texas knows that there is no substitute for a Breakfast on a Bun or a Number One from Whataburger at 2 in the morning. As a proud Texan from Corpus Christi no less, The Hometown of Whataburger, I have to admit the Italian Beef comes pretty close.


Oh yeah, I forgot about grad school and stuff. That's a good reason to go too.

No comments:

Post a Comment