Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Lady Bugs, Zombies and Swine....Oh my!

First it was lady bugs. The art building was swarming with them! They would attack you as you walked up to school, tangling themselves in your hair and crawling up your shirt. We couldn't even open the windows in the sculpture studio without a few hundred of those little pests flying in. I hear the yellow ones aren't actually ladybugs, they're chinese beetles. Apparently they spit acid on you and they bite. For a while there, I was afraid one of them might accidentally walk through a puddle of radioactive ooze and grow to be 60 feet tall! That wouldn't have been good for the economy.


Now we're dealing with a different kind of bug that is crippling the economy in its own way. Something much more horrifying than a giant mutated beetle. I'm talking about the flu virus. Sure, it may not be able to crush cars and shoot laser beams from it's radioactive antennae, but it can sure knock you off your feet. Attendance is starting to dwindle in each of my classes and slowly but surely the school is becoming a ghost town. I feel like I'm in some sort of a zombie movie. "Don't let them cough on you! You'll be transformed into one of them!" It's biological warfare. Armed with my dust mask and my bottle of liquid hand sanitizer I face each day knowing that somewhere out there is a microscopic germ with a pig snout and a curly little tail just waiting to crawl up my nose.

Okay, so the door was blocked off because of the wet paint. But who knows, with everyone getting sick, i wouldn't be surprised if they had to shut the whole school down for decontamination.

It's out there and it's real and yet, people still don't seem to be taking proper precautions. I don't know how many times I have been in the men's bathroom at school only to witness some genius splashing water on his hands for a few seconds and calling it a day. Then they go and put their grimy mitts all over the paper towel dispenser and the door knob.

This is a photo of an installation piece by my good buddy, Zach Tarr. Bugs!


PEOPLE OF EARTH!!! Splashing water on your hands for five seconds does NOT count as washing your hands! Use the soap will ya? Follow that one simple rule and maybe you too will survive the zombie apocalypse.

1 comment:

  1. we had a flood of lady bugs the other week. they come out in droves after the farmers harvest. we had thousands, I had to sweep up their carcasses with a broom.

    ReplyDelete